Thursday 12 October 2017

500 Word Summary No.1

So far into this project, I must admit I’m struggling a little bit. I think the change of direction late on into the research part of this module has left me at a bit of a disadvantage in that I’m very aware I don’t have a lot of time to pull all of this together. Nevertheless, I have been thoroughly enjoying my research this far and have discovered some key starting points as well as having more thoughts on how to further my research.

From reading Sherry Turkle's 'Alone Together' I have started to realise key points of interest. I'm looking more in the direction of how social media and online spaces impact our ability to communicate with each other on a face-to-face level. How does this impact our relationships with other people? Why do we feel more comfortable communicating feeling and emotion through a screen as a pose to face-to-face conversations? I think this is something that I want to continue researching into, as it’s an element of Illustrative practice that I’m interested in, in terms of how human experience and emotion can be communicated through image. I feel that it links back to my own practice, I enjoy emotionally driven work, I enjoy things that are personal and feel that I process my own thoughts and feelings through work I create, as do many others. In this sense, in terms of the practical element of this module, I feel that my chosen research topic will suit my interests in emotionally driven illustration and help me develop my own practice further in this way.

Additionally, from reading Danah Boyd’s It’s Complicated: The Social Lives of Networked Teens’, I’ve had insight into counter arguments to some of Turkles statements. I think it will be interesting to further read up on both sides of this argument, although at this point my personal stance on the topic would be that over-use of Social Media can lead to a feeling of disconnection and isolation rather than actually bringing people closer together. I also believe that people spend way too much time online, maybe this is something that I should aim my practical work towards, in that I could create images that aim to promote people spending less time online? I’m also quite interested in looking at the idea of self presentation online and feel that this could also be interesting too explore through my work.

In terms of practical work I still need to do more research and see what already exists and how other practitioners might be dealing with the issue. I also want to look into emotionally driven illustration, and try find work that has a sense of human authenticity behind it. My question is yet to be formulated but I feel that this will fall into place a little more as my research furthers.

Key points so far:

- the idea of connection and disconnection
- emotionally driven/honest/authentic imagery

- self presentation
- social relationships
- communication

No comments:

Post a Comment