Sunday 30 April 2017

Objectification Theory - An Introduction

I had some more TED Talks on in the background whilst I was doing some research and I heard someone on one of the videos mention something called 'Objectification Theory'. I hadn't heard this term before so gave it a quick google and was pliantly surprised with how well this was linking up to the thoughts i was having about my essay. 

"Objectification Theory posits that girls and women are typically acculturated to internalise an observers perspective as a primary view of their physical self."

"This perspective on self can lead to habitual body monitoring. This increases women's opportunities for shame and anxiety and reduce opportunity for peak motivational states and also diminish awareness of internal bodily states."

This is just a snippet of information that I've found as an introduction to what objectification theory is. I feel that it would be really interesting to explore objectification theory, how this in turn links in with the 'Thin Ideal' and how self-objectification is detrimental to the self-esteem and confidence of young girls and women of society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment